Saturday, August 1, 2015

Where did the week go?

Oh my goodness! It's been over a week since I've written anything on here! Yikes! Not sure where the time went! I tried to do the least I could on our house this week because I needed a break. Pretty sure, Jonas noticed. Ha! I spent my time elsewhere. So now, I'm trying to get motivated to dive back into it tomorrow.

Yesterday, the hospital called and they were in dire need of a hospitalist to work nights Friday through Sunday. Jonas agreed to it since he was on already on call for the office. It's only the second night and I'm beginning to feel like he's in residency again. And thus, the reason for my late night blogging. We did have a wonderful relaxing day today though, and Jonas didn't get many calls which is nice because so far, the nights have been busy.

It was the church campout this weekend so a lot of people were gone and church was cancelled. My Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry were here however, and we had a nice lunch over at their house. They happen to be our neighbors so we didn't have far to walk. Having them as neighbors sure is nice. It's also quite convenient for nap-time as I was able to put Boden down in his crib and set up the monitor.

What a delicious and healthy meal we had! My aunt made a quinoa salad and black bean salad, and I made one of my favorite recipes, gnocchi with zucchini ribbons. I altered it a bit because my uncle is vegan and I wanted him to be able to have some (sometimes I'm nice like that). I have no idea where I got this recipe, though, since I found it before the days of Pinterest, but let me know if you've seen it somewhere so I can give due credit. It's a great summer recipe, especially if you've planted zucchini and have it coming out your ears!

Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons



















1 pound gnocchi
2 Tablespoons butter
2 medium shallots, chopped
1 pound zucchini, thinly slice lengthwise
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1) Cook gnocchi, set aside
2) Melt butter in skillet over med-high heat, cook until butter is beginning to brown.
3) Add shallots and zucchini, cook until soft
4) Add tomatoes, salt, nutmeg, and pepper, stirring often, until tomatoes start to break open
5) Stir in Parmesan and parsley
6) Add gnocchi, toss to coat

Serves: 4,  425 calories/serving

If anybody does not know what gnocchi is, it is amazing! It's similar to a pasta but it's made out of potato. You should try it! So yummy! I added waaaay more parsley than this recipe calls for, mostly because I love it. I also used onions instead of shallots.

The rest of our day consisted of swimming, getting ice cream (because we needed to make up for that healthy lunch), and napping. But even with my nap, I'm tired, so it's off to bed for me. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment